You will like this Gluten Free German Cherry Hazelnut Cake. The substitute for wheat flour is hazelnut or almond flour; it’s very easy to bake. Basically all ingredients are mixed and combined to a dough and that’s it. The sour cherries can be found at Aldi or Trader Joes. Some international stores carry them as well. Happy Baking!
500 g sour cherries
150 g soft butter
150 g sugar
100 g dark chocolate unsweetened
200 g ground hazelnuts or alternatively almonds
1 tbsp sugar
gluten free bread crumbs (optional)
– If you use cherries from a jar drain them.
– Remove stems and pits from fresh cherries.
– Mix butter and sugar until creamy. Separate eggs.
– Grate chocolate (Tip: place chocolate for about 30 min into freezer).
– Beat egg white until firm.
– Add egg yolk to dough, mix chocolate with hazelnuts and add to dough.
– Finally add carefully firm egg white.
– Grease a spring form (10 inches) and sprinkle it with gluten free bread crumbs or layer it with parchment paper.
– Pour dough into the form and press cherries evenly into the dough.
– Pre-heat oven to 180 C or 350 F
– Bake the cake for about 70 minutes on lower level. Do the test with a tooth pick to see if cake is done. After baking time let cake in the turned off oven for another 10 minutes.
– Place on baking grid and dust with powdered sugar.
Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee!