A different way to cook cabbage. Easy to make pasta dish with fried cabbage and cabanossi sausage.
Cabanossi is a type of dry sausage, similar to a mild salami. It is made from pork and beef, lightly seasoned and then smoked. It is a European sausage and not so easy to find in the USA. I tried to find it in Eastern European deli stores, like russian or polish, and was lucky, I found them there. The American pepperoni is similar but spicy; Cabanossi isn’t.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 red pepper, 1 cabbage (600g)
1 garlic clove
150 g Cabanossi Sausage
7 tbsp olive oil
300 g ribbon pasta (Pappardelle)
salt, pepper, 1 tbsp paprika powder
30 g bread crumbs
3-4 tbsp chopped parsley
- Cut pepper in quarters, remove seeds and cut in very small cubes; quarter cabbage, remove hard parts, cut in small stripes.
- Peel garlic and cut very fine: cut Cabanossi in half (vertical) and cut in thin slices.
- Heat 5 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and fry cabbage for 5 minutes; add pepper and Cabanossi, fry it for another 8 minutes, stir frequently.
- Boil pasta.
- Spice cabbage with salt, pepper and paprika powder; fry it 1 more minute.
- In a separate skillet heat 2 tbsp olive oil and roast bread crumbs until they show a golden color; chop parsley.
- When pasta is done strain them and mix them while hot with the cabbage, add salt an pepper if needed.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and parsley on top.