Here is a German dinner idea for a dish that is easy to make: Ribbon Pasta with Fried Cabbage. We like this recipe because it shows a different way to cook cabbage. The dish contains next to fried cabbage the popular Polish cabanossi sausage.
What is Cabanossi?
Cabanossi (or Kabanosy) is a type of dry, thin sausage, similar to a mild salami. It is made from pork and beef, lightly seasoned and then smoked. It is a European sausage and not so easy to find in the USA. We searched Eastern European stores and were lucky to find them there. Alternatively you can use the Polish Kielbasa sausage. If you like spicy sausages use the American pepperoni which is similar but spicy. Cabanossi is not spicy at all. Happy Cooking!
1 red pepper, 1 cabbage (600g)
150 g Cabanossi Sausage or alternatively Kielbasa or Pepperoni
1 garlic clove
7 tbsp olive oil
300 g ribbon, bow tie or fettuccine pasta
salt, pepper to taste
1 tbsp mild paprika powder
30 g bread crumbs
3-4 tbsp chopped parsley
– Cut pepper in quarters, remove seeds and cut in very small cubes; quarter cabbage, remove hard parts, cut in small stripes.
– Peel garlic and cut very fine: cut Cabanossi in half (vertical) and cut in thin slices.
– Heat 5 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and fry cabbage for 5 minutes; add pepper and Cabanossi, fry it for another 8 minutes, stir frequently.
– Boil pasta per instructions.
– Spice cabbage with salt, pepper and paprika powder; fry it 1 more minute.
– In a separate skillet heat 2 tbsp olive oil and roast bread crumbs until they show a light brown color.
– Chop parsley fine.
– When pasta is done strain through a sieve, mix them while hot with the cabbage, add salt and pepper if needed.
– Sprinkle bread crumbs and parsley on top.