The Southern German Apple Cake is a specialty from the South of Germany and is different than other apple cakes I had made so far. This German apple cake is awesome for any Kaffee and Kuchen table, for the holidays, for birthdays and festive occasions. The apples are covered in a creamy dough and will be placed on a light dough. It is easy to make. Even baking beginners will succeed. Try it out and let me know how you liked it. Happy Baking!
250 g butter
75 g sugar
150 g flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
juice from 1 lemon
80 g powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla pudding powder or starch
1 tbsp liquid vanilla if you don't use the vanilla pudding powder
butter for the form
1-2 tbsp chopped almonds
-pre-heat oven to 350 F
- grease a spring form and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- melt 125 g butter, let cool off a bit.
- beat 2 eggs with 75 g sugar until creamy. Mix flour with baking powder and add to egg cream, swiftly mix it and then add the butter.
- Fill dough into form, then place it in the fridge for 15-30 min (butter needs to get firm).
- peel apples, remove core and cut in slices, mix with lemon juice to prevent that they become brown.
- soften butter and mix with powdered sugar and pudding powder or starch, add vanilla.
- separate 3 eggs, beat egg whites until firm; add eggs to the cream, mix it gently, then add apple slices and mix it.
- take the form from the fridge and the dough should be firm, make an edge of 1.5 inches, gently press the dough around the spring form .
- add the apple cream.
- sprinkle it with chopped almonds.
- bake for 55 minutes, cover with foil if it should get brown.
- dust with powdered sugar if you like.
Serve it with whipped cream.