The Southern German Apple Cake is a specialty from the South of Germany and is different than other apple cakes featured on this website. This German apple cake is awesome for any “Kaffee and Kuchen” table, for the holidays, for birthdays and festive occasions. The apples are covered in a creamy filling and will be placed on a light dough. It is easy to make. Even baking beginners will succeed. I prefer to add raisins and cinnamon. We had this cake some days ago, and it was gone within one day! My husband said, “The best apple cake I ever had!” What a compliment! Try it out and let me know how you liked it. Happy Baking!
200 g butter – 1.5 sticks
60 g sugar
150 g flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
juice from 1 lemon
1 package vanilla sugar 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
4-5 medium size apples
70 g powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla pudding powder
(1 tsp liquid vanilla and 1 tbsp corn starch if you don’t use the vanilla pudding powder)
butter for the form and flour for dusting the form
3 tbsp chopped almonds and/or 3 tbsp raisins
cinnamon to taste
Never struggle with a Yeast Dough Cake – Here is the NO FAIL Baking Mix!
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Grease a spring form (10 inches) and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
– Melt 100 g butter, let cool off a bit (shouldn’t be hot).
– Separate eggs.
– Beat egg yolks with 60 g sugar until creamy.
– Mix flour with baking powder, add to the egg cream, swiftly mix it, then add the butter.
– Fill dough into the form, the best is with wet hands squeeze it evenly into the form. The dough consistency is not soft and not firm.
– Place dough in the fridge for 15-30 min (dough needs to get firm).
– Peel apples, remove core and cut in slices, mix with lemon juice to prevent browning.
– Soften butter, and mix with powdered sugar, pudding powder or starch, add vanilla.
– Beat egg whites until firm.
– Add egg whites to the cream, mix gently with a spatula, add apple slices, mix gently.
– Remove dough from fridge (the dough should be firm), create an edge of 1.5 inches, gently press the dough around the rim of the form.
– Add the apple cream.
– Sprinkle with chopped almonds and/or add the raisins and cinnamon; mix well.
– Bake for 55 minutes, cover with foil to prevent that cake gets brown.
– Optional: Dust with powdered sugar.
Let cool off a bit before you release from the form. This cake tastes delicious if it is still warm 🙂
Serve with whipped cream.