This Authentic German Lemon Cake is super easy to make and a perfect recipe for baking beginners. Important is to use organic lemons and oranges as you need the zest. You will love this cake with a cup of coffee or your favorite tea. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon in the garden for Kaffee and Kuchen! Happy Baking!
If you have to bake Gluten free or Vegan here is a German recipe for a lemon cake without wheat, eggs, milk or butter: Gluten Free Vegan Lemon Cake
300 g very soft butter
200 g sugar
1 dash salt
zest from 1 organic lemon and 1 organic orange
6 eggs (medium)
300 g flour
100 g corn starch (pref. organic)
1 package Dr Oetker baking powder, 0.7oz
100 ml milk
bread crumbs (natural, no spices or flavors)
500 g powdered sugar
6-7 tbsp orange juice and 6-7 tbsp lemon juice
edible yellow color (optional)
– Pre-heat oven to 300F (convection), 350F non-convection.
– Mix butter with sugar, salt, zest of orange and lemon, and beat until creamy.
– Add one egg after the other.
– Mix baking powder with flour and starch, add alternating with milk to dough.
– Grease a deep baking sheet (should be 3 inches deep, L 16 x W 11 inches) and sprinkle with bread crumbs or layer with parchment paper (easier to remove the cake from the pan). Alternatively you can use a so called lasagne pan of 18 x 12 inches or 2 small pound cake forms.
– Spread dough evenly onto the baking tray.
– Bake for 25-30 min on 300 F (do the test with a toothpick or skewer: poke the cake and when no dough sticks, the cake should be done).
– For the glaze mix powdered sugar with lemon and orange juice until smooth.
– Take 4 tbsp of the glaze and add some natural edible yellow color and keep separate (optional).
– When cake is done spread the white glaze on top of the cake.
– Fill yellow glaze into a freezer bag and cut a tiny corner off.
– Create some thin lines on top of the white glaze.
Before you cut the cake in rectangles make sure the glaze is dry and firm.
INFO BAKING POWDER:
The ingredients of the Dr. Oetker baking powder are:
Sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate, and corn starch.
Never use baking soda as substitute. If you use a different baking powder make sure it has similar ingredients as the one from Dr Oetker. Potato starch as an ingredient is acceptable. For using different baking powder there is no guarantee that the cake will be the same as the original German recipe is using Dr Oetker baking powder.
To get a special fluffy cake separate eggs first, mix egg yolks with butter, sugar, salt and zest, mix in remaining ingredients as mentioned in recipe; beat egg white until firm, and at the end add firm egg white, fold in carefully.