The German Cucumber Stew is a delicious German main dish with ham or if made without, it becomes a delicious meatless dinner. This dish is very easy to make and tastes the best with English cucumbers or the special cucumbers for cooking which I never found in the USA.. Happy Cooking!
1 -2 cucumbers, English
1-2 slices cooked ham – can be left out to make a vegetarian version
1 garlic clove
1 small potato
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp vegetable broth
2 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 dash sugar
salt, white pepper to taste
1 hard boiled egg
1 tbsp chopped dill
– Peel cucumber, cut in half and remove seeds. Cut in slices.
– Cut ham in small cubes or fine stripes.
– Peel garlic and onion, chop fine. Peel potato, cut in small cubes.
– Melt butter, saute onion and garlic until transparent.
– Add ham, fry ham briefly, then add cucumber and potatoes.
– Add broth and heavy cream.
– Spice to taste, let simmer covered for about 8 min.
– Peel egg, chop roughly.
– Sprinkle egg and chopped dill on top before serving.