When blackberries are ripe it’s time for this German Blackberry Cake. The blackberries are surrounded by a shortcake dough which has a sweet glaze on top. Serve this German cake with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream. It’s an original, proven and authentic German recipe. Happy Baking!
400 g ripe blackberries
30 g Zwieback or bread crumbs (natural, no spices)
30 g ground almonds
50 g sugar and some cinnamon to taste
4 tbsp powdered sugar
3 tbsp rum or rum flavor
– Mix all ingredients for the dough and knead until you get a smooth dough
– Wrap in foil and keep in the fridge for at least 30 min.
– Grease a form (26 cm or 10 inches) and sprinkle it with flour or bread crumbs.
– Crumble Zwieback (bread crumbs) and mix with ground almonds.
– Sprinkle flour on the baking board and roll 3/4 of the dough.
– Place dough into the spring form.
– Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
– Poke the bottom of the dough with a fork several times.
– Place zwieback-almond mix on top of the dough, then add blackberries and sprinkle them with the mixed sugar and cinnamon.
– Roll remaining dough flat and place carefully on blackberries, press gently along the edges so the whole cake will be covered.
– With a pork poke the dough carefully several times.
– Bake on 375 F for about 40 min.
For the glaze mix powdered sugar with rum until you get a smooth glaze, spread on top of the cake when it is still hot.
Let cool off and serve with whipped cream.