You can make this German cherry streusel pie either in a pie form or use a regular spring form. Both versions are suitable. If you can get fresh sour cherries this would be the best but they are very hard to find in the USA. So you would use the canned cherries. ALDI and Trader Joe’s carry these canned sour cherries as far as I know. Happy Baking!
200 g butter, very soft
200 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar — How to Make Vanilla Sugar —
Zest of 1 organic lemon
400 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
500 g fresh or 720ml canned sour cherries
200 g cherry jam
butter for the form
– Combine butter with sugar and vanilla sugar. Beat until bubbly.
– Add zest and egg, mix well.
– Mix flour with baking powder, add half of it to the dough. Mix well. Add remaining flour and knead with hands until you get a crumbly dough (Streusel).
– Pre-heat oven to 200 C or 390 F.
– Grease a 26 cm or 10 inch pie form or use a normal spring form.
– Press half of the streusel into the form, then bake for 15 min. Remove from oven.
– Fresh cherries need to be de-pitted.
– Drain canned cherries. If the canned cherries contain additional sugar reduce the amount of the jam or don’t use it at all.
– Combine cherries with the jam (if jam is too sticky you can warm it a little).
– Place cherries on the cake.
– Evenly spread the streusel on top of the cherries.
– Bake for another 20-25 min.
– Let cool off on a cooling rack.
Serve with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.