Ingredients (40-50 pieces)
German Christmas Cookies: Caramel Cookies
4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
6 dried apricots
8 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp coarse sugar
150 g cold butter
75 g powdered sugar
225 g flour
1 egg yolk
1 pinch salt
Baking Instructions German Christmas Cookies: Caramel Cookies
For the dough
– Cut butter in cubes.
– Place butter cubes, powdered sugar, flour, egg yolk and salt in a bowl and mix it with the kneading hooks first, then knead it with hands (have hands dusted with flour) until you get a smooth dough.
– Wrap dough in foil and place it at least for 30 minutes in the fridge.
– Chop fruit fine and knead it into the dough.
– Cut dough in half and roll it to a rectangle (20x 25cm or 8x 10 inches).
– Sprinkle half of the pumpkin seeds and apricots and 4 tbsp of brown sugar on the dough, press slightly, and roll the dough rectangles from the longer side so you have one roll.
– Roll it in the coarse sugar (1 tbsp).
– Keep them cool for 30 minutes, then cut the rolls in 20-25 slices, place them on a baking tray.
– Bake them on preheated oven for 15 minutes on 175 C or 350 F.