Here is the authentic German creamy chocolate cake recipe for you so you know how to make the “real” German chocolate cake.
It is a “Torte” which means it has more than one layer. This creamy chocolate cake is filled with an irresistible chocolate cream.
In Germany we use a special corn starch for baking named “Mondamin”. It is pure potato starch which helps to make cakes like this one. You can use regular potato starch as well if you cannot get Mondamin. This chocolate cake has nothing to do with the American German Chocolate Cake version. As you can see it is a very simple cake and has not a pecan-coconut frosting and any other frosting. If you study the recipe you will see how easy it is to make it. Happy Baking!
4 tbsp water
200 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar Dr Oetker, 0.3oz- Click here to order – HOW TO MAKE VANILLA SUGAR –
100 g flour
100 g Mondamin or potato starch
2 tsp baking powder Dr Oetker- Click here to order
dash of salt
200 g butter
200 g sugar
30 g Mondamin (German baking starch) or potato starch
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp coffee powder (instant)
1/4 liter milk
– Whisk 4 egg white with water until firm and add slowly sugar and vanilla sugar.
– Carefully mix in the egg yolks, flour, Mondamin (starch) and salt.
– Grease a spring form with butter (10 inches/26cm) and fill in the dough.
– Bake for 30-35 minutes on 350 F or 175 C.
– Let cool off for a bit.
– Remove carefully from the form and let it completely cool off.
– With a sharp knife cut the cake horizontally in half.
– Mix Mondamin or starch and cocoa powder, boil it with the milk until it thickens, then let cool off.
– Whisk Butter, sugar and instant coffee until bubbly.
– Mix in the cocoa cream spoon by spoon, use a spatula.
– With a wide serrated cake knife or a wide spoon spread the cream on the base cake.
– Place the other layer on top, then spread the cream all around the cake on the sides and the top. The entire cake should be wrapped with the cream.
– With a spoon create some wavy structure in the top chocolate layer and around the sides.