The Bratwurst Sauerkraut Pan dish is very easy to make and a different way to make Sauerkraut with Bratwurst. This is great for the Oktoberfest but you will love it as a dinner on a cold winter’s day as well! In Germany we like to use a pan and add all the ingredients, let it cook until it is done. If you use sausages such as Frankfurters or Wieners add them 5 min before the dish is done. Find the German Sauerkraut at Cost Plus or selected supermarkets. Whole Foods Sauerkraut is as good as the German one. Happy Cooking!
6 sausages such as Bratwurst, Frankfurter or Wiener, pre-cooked; if you use raw, uncooked sausages you cannot slice them and you would fry them as whole
500 g Sauerkraut
6-8 potatoes, depending on size or Fingerling or small, round potatoes
salt, pepper, caraway seeds (optional) to taste
1/2 Liter liter vegetable or beef broth
– Cut Bratwurst or any other sausages you might use in slices and brown them in clarified butter (ONLY if you use Brats).
– Peel potatoes, cut in small cubes, add to the sausages and fry for another 5 min. If you use the small potatoes you won’t peel them.
– Add the Sauerkraut, mix well and fry for another 5 min.
– Finally add the broth, mix well. Spice to taste.
– Cover the pan, add sliced Wiener or Frankfurter sausages, let simmer until potatoes are soft.
– If needed add more salt and pepper