Today find out how to make German pickles no canning. It is not that difficult to make your own pickles. They won’t have any chemicals, preservatives or artificial colors. You need the special pickle cucumbers; you might find them on a local farmers market or if you are into gardening, you can harvest them very soon. In Germany we use pickles for many dishes such as in Beef Rouladen, potato salads or in stews. Happy Cooking!
5 kg gherkins (cucumbers for pickling)
3 medium onions
200 g horseradish
3 liter water
3/4 liter vinegar, 10%
300 g sugar
150 g salt
1 bunch dill and if possible summer savory
2 tbsp black pepper corns and mustard seeds
– Wash cucumbers and let drain.
– Cut onions and horse radish in 1/2 inch thick slices.
– Place cucumbers with onions and horseradish and the herbs into a pickling stoneware pot, or use jars with a lid.
– bring water, vinegar and spices to a boil.
– Pour the hot brine over the pickles.
– All cucumber should be covered.
– If you use a stoneware pot cover it very good.
– Jars and lids should be rinsed with boiling hot water first, then let them dry upside down on a clean kitchen cloth.
– If you like you can use a water bath for 10 min to preserve them (see video).
Let the pickles rest for at least 10 days before you enjoy them. They should be fine for up to one year.