When Italian plums are ripe – we call them Zwetschgen in German – there is nothing better than a to make a German Plum Streusel Cake. Delicious German cake that is easy to make and doesn’t need any special ingredients, you just need to find the Italian or Damson plums. Happy Baking!
600 g Italian plums or Damson plums (about 40 plums)
For the Streusel:
85 g flour
50 g butter
50 g sugar
1 dash cinnamon
For the Dough:
180 g butter (soft)
180 g sugar
240 g flour
– For the Streusel combine sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon and you will get a crumbly dough. Wrap in plastic foil and place in fridge.
– Preheat oven to 350 F (180 °C).
– Grease a 26cm – 10 inches springform with butter, and sprinkle with flour.
– Cut plums in halves and remove pits.
– For the dough beat butter until very creamy.
– Add half of the sugar, beat very well until sugar has dissolved.
-Separate eggs and add one egg yolk after the other to the dough. Beat until the cream shows a very light color.
– Beat egg white until firm.
– Add remaining sugar to the egg white bit by bit until you get a super white and fine consistency.
– Sieve the flour and add it alternating with egg white to the dough. Use a spatula.
– Fill dough into the spring form.
– Place plums on top.
– Crumble the Streusel dough and sprinkle over the plums.
– Bake for 40 min. Increase to 390 F (200 C) and bake for another 15-20 min.