This might sound like an unusual recipe for red cabbage but the combination od red cabbage and pears is really good! Make this German red cabbage with pears as a delicious side dish for goulash, beef roast or any beef or pork dish with gravy. It is a perfect combination with dumplings, Spaetzle or mashed potatoes. We recommend to use organic cabbage for this recipe. It just tastes better and is more healthy. Happy Cooking!
1 red cabbage of about 1.5 kg
1-2 onions medium size
2 tbsp sugar
50 g clarified butter or lard
5 juniper berries
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 bay leave
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
350 ml pear juice
salt, pepper to taste
– Remove outer cabbage leaves, cut red cabbage in quarters and remove hard parts.
– Cut the cabbage in very fine stripes or grate it.
– Peel onions and chop them fine.
– Melt sugar in a pot until yellow golden, add lard or ghee, saute onions until transparent.
– Add cabbage, place juniper berries, clove, cinnamon stick and bay leave in a muslin bag, and add it to the cabbage.
– Add the vinegar and the pear juice.
– Let it simmer covered on medium-low heat for 1 hour, stir frequently.
– Take off lid and let is boil until all liquid is gone.
– Peel pears and cut in small cubes, add to cabbage and let it boil for another 6-8 minutes.
– Spice with salt and pepper to taste.