Do you love Lebkuchen and are looking for a German Simple Lebkuchen recipe? You found one. This lebkuchen recipe is traditional and classic. Lebkuchen are a symbol of Christmas as it is the only time where they are made. The German simple Lebkuchen recipe is from an old German cooking book, and we found it is pretty easy to use. Many Lebkuchen are filled with marzipan or jelly, this recipe is very simple and has no filling.
If you want to use candied peel make sure to use a product that is not using high fructose corn syrup and other harmful chemicals as ingredients. We don’t recommend the brand Pennant or Paradise. The German candied peel does not contain any of such ingredients. You probably find the Mc Cormick Lebkuchen spice in the super market. On Amazon yo can get a bndle of the EDORA spice and the matching wafers (Oblaten). Happy Baking!
(makes about 36 pieces)
200 g sugar
500 g honey (if honey is not liquid warm slightly)
2 tsp Lebkuchen spice or to taste
3 tbsp raisins
30 g Orangeat – How to make Orangeat and Zitronat – and 30 g Zitronat (candied peel of lemons and oranges)
TIP: alternatively use chopped almonds or almonds instead of raisins and candied peel
500 g flour
1/2 package baking powder Dr Oetker, 0.3oz
For the Glaze
150 g powdered sugar
2 tbsp dark rum (optional)
1 tbsp hot water
150 g almond halves, blanched
– Mix eggs with sugar and beat until bubbly.
– Add liquid honey, then spice, raisins, Orangeat and Zitronat. Mix well.
– Combine flour with baking powder and sieve to the dough. Mix quickly until you get a smooth dough.
– Layer a deep baking tray with parchment paper.
– Spread the dough evenly on the paper.
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
– Spread the dough on the tray (about 6mm thick). Size tray 10 x 15 inches.
– Bake the dough for 40 minutes on medium level.
Meanwhile Prepare the Glaze:
Mix powdered sugar with rum and water until smooth.
– Remove Lebkuchen from oven when done.
– While still warm spread the glaze evenly on top
– Before the glaze has completely hardened cut in rectangles, eg. 4 by 8 cm or 2 x 4 inches.
– Place 4 almond halves in the middle or on corners of each one. Let dry thoroughly.
Keep Lebkuchen at a cool place in a tin that has a lid