Krapfen is a German pastry that is cooked in a deep fryer. In Germany Krapfen are very popular during the Fasnacht (Karneval) but in my opinion this is a good pastry throughout the year.
You can fill the Krapfen with other fruit such as apples, peaches, pears or plums. This recipe is using pears for the filling. Always dust them with a layer of cinnamon and sugar. Happy Balking!
1 pk dry yeast
50 g sugar
150 ml milk
75 g butter
1 dash salt
1 organic orange
3-4 firm pears (or apples, peaches, Italian plums)
oil/grease for deep fryer
Convenient German Yeast Dough Baking Mix Available Now!
Baking Instructions Krapfen Recipe
– Place flour into a bowl, make a mold in the middle, add yeast, 1Tbsp sugar and luke warm milk, mix it. Cover it and let raise until the dough has doubled.
– Melt butter, add remaining sugar, salt, eggs and grated orange peel (zest) and add to dough.
– Knead until you get a smooth dough.
– Peel pears, remove core and cut in fine cubes, add to the dough.
– Let raise covered for another 20-30 minutes.
– With 2 table spoons make small Krapfen and add to the hot oil.
– Fry them until golden brown.
– Let drip on kitchen paper.
– Turn in a mix of sugar and cinnamon.