To make this delicious German Onion Beef Goulash meal you would use the same amount beef and onions. In Germany we call the dish “Zwiebelgulash”. It tastes delicious with any pasta, Spätzle, boiled or mashed potatoes. Happy Cooking!
2.2 lbs beef stew meat
4 yellow onions (should also be 2 lbs)
2 tbsp olive oil or sunflower oil
salt, pepper to taste
paprika powder mild or hot to taste
1 tbsp tomato paste and 2 tbsp flour
1 garlic clove (optional)
300ml liter broth (beef or vegetable, instant) or alternatively 250ml red wine and 100ml water
2 bay leaves
– Pat meat dry with kitchen paper.
– Peel onions and gut in coarse pieces.
– If you use garlic chop fine.
– Heat oil in a large pan.
– Brown the meat in portions (not at once), turn frequently.
– Add onions and garlic, and fry for some minutes.
– Spice with salt, pepper and paprika.
– Add tomato paste and flour.
– Mix well so it’s all combined.
– Add the wine, broth/water and bay leaves.
– Cover and let simmer for 1,5-2 hours (cooking time depends on the meat). If needed add more water.
– Spice again to taste
Serve with your favorite pasta, boiled or mashed potatoes.