A classic and typical German meal is the pan fried Leberkäse with spinach and fried potatoes. It’s just delicious and so easy to make, you jsut need to get the Leberkäse. In the USA you wold find it in special German stores or places where they serve German specialties. Happy Cooking.
500 g frozen spinach
3 larger potatoes
4 slices Leberkäse
3 tbsp heavy cream
salt, nutmeg, pepper to taste
– Place frozen spinach in a pot, add 3-4 tbsp water, cover the pot, and bring to a brief boil. When spinach has defrosted spice to taste and add the heavy cream. Cook for 5 min.
– Peel potatoes, cut in slices, boil them in water with some salt until semi-soft.
– Heat oil in a pan. Fry the Leberkäse slices until they are brown. Set aside and keep warm in the oven.
– In the same pan add chopped onions and fry for 2 min (add oil or butter as needed).
– Then add the potatoes and fry until they are golden brown.
– Make the fried eggs, spice with salt and pepper. Important is to add the eggs to the pan when the butter had become really hot. I always use a mix of butter and olive oil.
Place the fried egg on top of the Leberkäse, spinach and the roasted potatoes go aside. Alternatively you can also make French fries or potato salad.