Find out today how to make the Potato Salad Westphalia Style. It’s one of these potato salads that are so good as a side dish for sausages, Schnitzel or “Fischstäbchen” (fried fish sticks). This salad is so easy to make, just make sure yo use German mustard and pickles – this makes the difference! The original recipe doesn’t use vinegar and oil, yes, that’s right. If you like you can add some tablespoons, it wouldn’t hurt. Happy Cooking!
1 kg boiled, cold, unpeeled potatoes
5-6 tbsp mayonnaise
150 g yoghurt, natural
3 tbsp (German) mustard
2 medium pickles, pref. German
4 hard boiled eggs
1 medium onion
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
1 splash heavy cream (makes it creamy)
1 splash pickles liquid
radishes, tomatoes for decoration
herbs such as chives, parsley or cress
2 tbsp sunflower oil and vinegar
– Boil eggs, drain, place in cold water for 1 min, then peel. Let cool off.
– Chop onion fine.
– Cut pickles and eggs into small cubes.
– Peel potatoes and cut in thin slices.
– Combine mayonnaise, cream, pickles liquid, yoghurt, mustard, pickles, eggs, onions and spices.
– Add the potatoes and mix well.
– Let sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Some say even 2-3 hours is needed.
If you like decorate with sliced radishes and tomato quarters and 1 egg cut in quarters
Serve with sausages, Buletten, fried fish or chicken or Winer Schnitzel.