This is a perfect cake to surprise your beloved one for Valentine’s or Mother’s Day, or the Birthday! You also could make it for a hot summer’s day. Raffaellos bring an exotic taste to the table. It’s a rich cake indeed but doesn’t come with the old-fashioned buttery cream. Whenever you make this strawberry Raffaello layered cake serve the cake with a cup of German coffee. Happy Baking!
For the Base Cake
100 g sugar
2 drops rum flavor
50 g flour
50 g corn starch
1 tsp baking powder
For the Filling
200 g Raffaellos
500 g strawberries
600 ml heavy cream
2 packages vanilla sugar – How to Make Vanilla Sugar –
1 package whip it (Sahnesteif)
25 g grated coconut, unsweetened
– Pre-heat oven to 175 C / 350F (regular; convection is 150 C or 300F)
– Beat egg whites with 3 tbsp water until firm. Add the sugar and continue beating until sugar has dissolved.
– Add the egg yolks, flavor.
– Mix flour with starch and baking powder, add to the egg cream. Mix with a spatula.
– Layer a 26cm – 10 inch – spring form with parchment paper.
– Place dough in spring form, spread even.
– Bake for 25-30 min or less, do the tooth pick test.
Make the Filling
– Cut the base cake one time horizontally.
– Chop 10 Raffaellos in pieces. Keep remaining ones in the fridge.
– Cut half of the berries into small pieces.
– Combine half of heavy cream with 1 tbsp sugar, 1 package vanilla sugar and whip it. Beat until form.
– Mix in strawberries and Raffaello pieces.
– Spread the strawberry cream on the lower piece of cake. Place the other piece on top.
– Place cake in fridge for 30 min.
– Roast the coconut pieces lightly in a non-stick pan without adding oil or butter.
– Slice remaining strawberries, keep one whole fruit.
– Beat remaining heavy cream with 1 pack. vanilla sugar until firm.
– Spread the cream around the cake and on top. Sprinkle with coconut pieces.
– Place the strawberry slices around the edges and on top like a wreath.
– Add some whipped cream into a decorating bag and squirt little flowers for each piece of cake.
– Decorate with whole Raffaellos.