Just ready for fall: Sweet sour pickled pumpkin – an original German recipe for anyone who likes pumpkin dishes. Canning is very popular in Germany. The pickled pumpkin taste great together with fried potatoes. Happy Cooking!
1 kg pumpkin
350 g sugar
1/8 liter vinegar
1/4 liter water
1 tsp salt
1.5 cinnamon sticks
water and vinegar
– Remove all the seeds and all fiber of the pumpkin by using a spoon, remove skin as well.
– Cut pumpkin in small cubes.
– Soak over night in vinegar-water mix: for 4 l water use 1/2 l vinegar.
– Pumpkin pieces should be covered well (you might add more liquid).
– Drain in a sieve the next day.
– Place cinnamon, cloves, and some slices ginger into a linen bag.
– In a pot mix pumpkin with sugar, water and vinegar (to taste) – use more or less sugar.
– Boil until pumpkin looks transparent. It depends on what pumpkin you are using and how firm or soft you like the pumpkin to be.
– Fill in jars (rinse them with boiling hot water before using them, place them upside down on a clean kitchen cloth).
– Can the jars for 30 min at 160 F in the oven or use a water bath.
– You also can keep the jars in the fridge for immediate usage.