Swabian recipe Schupfnudeln is a regional specialty from the German region Swabia, from the Schwabenland around Stuttgart and Ulm (the region around Stuttgart down to the Lake of Constance. This is the region where you also can get Spaetzle). On every local fair you can get Schupfnudeln with Sauerkraut and Spaetzle.
It tastes so good! Schupfnudeln is also a dish in Bavaria but I think the Bavarian recipe is a bit different. The Swabian version consists of potatoes and it is served together with Sauerkraut. Happy Cooking!
Buy ready made in Germany Schupfnudeln here - mention you come from mybestgermanrecipes.com!
Ingredients Swabian Recipe Schupfnudeln
800 g boiled potatoes (soft potatoes, floury, boiled the day before)
8 tbsp flour
2 tbsp oil
- Boil potatoes the day before.
- Peel potatoes and grate them into a big bowl.
- Add the eggs, nutmeg and app. 8 tbsp flour to the grated potatoes and make a dough (knead the potatoes with your hands until you get a dough that you can form.
- On a wooden board sprinkle flour and make out of the potato dough 2 long rolls.
- Cut thin slices from the rolls and form noodles which are pointy at both ends ( thumb size).
- Roll them in flour.
- Bring water in a big pot to a boil (with salt).
- Put some of the noodles into the boiling water (not all at once); they are done when they are up at the surface of the water – take them out right away, put them on a clean kitchen cloth so they can dry.
- Proceed in this fashion until all noodles are cooked.
- Schupfnudeln are dry after 30-60 minutes and can be mixed with the Sauerkraut.
If you don’t want to mix them with Sauerkraut, just add some butter in a skillet and fry them until golden, Serve with green salad.
How to make German Sauerkraut
- Peel an onion and chop it; heat up some lard and fry onions.
- Add Sauerkraut and fry it on high temperature (fast).
Add spices such as laurel leave, caraway if you like, and juniper berries.
- Reduce heat to medium and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir it frequently.
- Cut Speck (bacon) into small cubes and add them into a non-stick-able pan; add butter and fry Speck on high temperature.
- Add cooked and fry them until slightly golden.
- Add Sauerkraut to the Noodles and mix it.
- Serve it directly from the pan.