Chocolate Hazelnut Macaroons are easy to make German Christmas cookies, and they are delicious. Find more tips and information here: All about Macaroons
Macaroons can be varied with all kinds of flavors and ingredients. It is the most versatile German cookie. As almost every German Christmas cookies the macaroons can be kept for weeks – so starting the Christmas Bakery weeks before is very safe. Happy Baking!
(makes 50 macaroons)
250 g powdered sugar
250 g ground hazelnuts and 50 whole hazelnuts
zest of 1/2 lemon, organic
semi-sweet baking chocolate
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C).
– Mix eggs and sugar until foamy, then add ground hazelnuts, zest and cinnamon.
– With wet hands form small balls and place them on a tray that is layered with parchment paper.
– Place on each ball a hazelnut – keep a good distance between them and don’t make them too big.
– Bake for 10-15 min.
– When done place on a cooling rack.
– Melt chocolate in doubler boiler (add water into a pot, place into this pot a ceramic bowl which will have the chocolate. Heat the water and see how the chocolate is melting).
– When the macaroons are cooled off dip one half into the chocolate – let cool off.
You also can chop the dark chocolate into small pieces and add to the dough.
Note: Depending on what oven you have baking time can vary. Never bake them too long as they will get dry.