Enjoy this old fashioned recipe for Bavarian apple dumplings that I got many years ago from someone on Facebook. This original German-Bavarian dish is served with vanilla sauce, or a mix of cinnamon and sugar. The dumplings are made out of a yeast dough that is combined with apples. If you love Bavarian food this is the recipe for you. Happy Baking!
500 g flour
30 g yeast (fresh) – substitute fresh yeast with approximately half the amount of dried yeast
or 1 package dry yeast or use the German Baking Mix for a Yeast dough from Kathi
100 g sugar
1/4 liter warm milk
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 apples, peeled, cut in small cubes
– Put the flour in a bowl and make a mold in the middle, place the yeast into the mold and make a so called “starter dough” (we call it “Vorteig” in German) with 1 tbsp sugar and some warm milk.
– Mix well, powder some flour on top and let rise at a warm place. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Rising time ends when dough amount has doubled.
– Mix dough with some flour and the remaining ingredients and knead until it peels of from the edge of the bowl.
– Let it rise again, covered and at a warm place.
– Knead dough again, then separate in 12 pieces.
– Form each piece into a ball.
– Again let sit the balls for 3-5 minutes. Now flatten them and place apple pieces in the middle which you cover with dough.
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Place balls on a baking tray layered with parchment paper or very well greased. Let dumplings rise again.
– Bake for 10-15 minutes (do the test by sticking a tooth pick into the dumplings; should some dough stick on the tooth pick the dumplings are not quite done).
– When the dumplings are done, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Serve the dumplings warm with vanilla sauce.
RECIPE: – How to Make Vanilla Sauce –