This is a delicious dessert from the South of Germany: Bavarian Fried Apples Rings in Beer Dough served with a delicious cinnamon sauce or alternatively with a vanilla sauce. This is a traditional and classic Bavarian recipe and it is recommended to use German beer. Serve the fried apples with the home made cinnamon sauce or just dust them with powdered sugar. Happy Cooking!
1 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
For the Dough
125 g flour
1 tbsp sunflower oil
125 ml light beer (lager)
1 dash of salt
80 g sugar
For the Cinnamon Sauce
500 ml milk
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp sugar
1 vanilla bean, vanilla paste or vanilla extract
2 tbsp potato starch
1 tbsp cinnamon
– Peel apples, remove core, slice in 1 cm or 1/4 inch thick slices.
– Dust with powdered sugar and lemon juice. Cover them.
– For the beer dough separate eggs; bring milk with vanilla to a boil.
– Make the beer dough by mixing beer, egg yolks, sugar and salt; dough should be thick, then add oil.
– Beat egg white until firm and mix it carefully under the dough.
– Turn apple slices in the dough and deep fry them on 320 F or 160 C until they are brown.
– Place on kitchen paper (will soak the oil).
– Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Or Make a Cinnamon Sauce from Scratch
– Beat egg yolk, starch cinnamon and sugar in a skillet, then add hot milk. Heat the sauce but not to a boil as the egg yolk should not get clotted but the starch needs a high temperature.
– Stir continuously while heating.
– Strain it by using a sieve and serve it hot or semi hot with the baked apple slices.