Let’s do an excursion to the North of Germany, to Friesland and it’s beautiful islands. We found a recipe the Friesland Sugar bread which is a sweet bread that is popular in this region of the North.
The sugar bread has some sweet and sugar holes inside which come about when you bake it. And because this region is very close to Holland the Dutch name would be “Fries Suikerbrood“. If you like sweet bread try this recipe. Happy Cooking!
1 package dry yeast or 1/2 cube fresh yeast
300 ml milk, luke warm
500 g flour all purpose
2 tbsp sugar
1 package vanilla sugar – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
1/2 tsp salt, flat
25 g butter
20 sugar cubes (or more, as needed)
1 tbsp cinnamon, ground
evaporated milk to brush on top
some flour and butter for the form
– mix yeast with milk until it gets a bit bubbly.
– add flour, sugar,vanilla sugar and butter.
– knead until you get a smooth dough. The longer you knead the dough the better the bread will be!
– let raise for 1 hour (covered with kitchen cloth at a warm place).
– flour a surface and roll the dough.
– turn the sugar cubes in cinnamon (tip: place them in a plastic bag and shake it).
– place sugar cubes on the dough and roll it.
– place the roll in a greased pound cake form.
– let rest for 30 min.
– brush top of bread with evaporated milk.
– bake in pre-heated oven for 40 min on 390 F (place foil on top if the bread should turn too dark).
The sugar cubes will melt during the baking process, so there will be sugary holes in the bread – that’s the special thing of this bread!