German mashed potatoes are a classic side dish for all meat dishes with gravy such as Goulash, beef Rouladen, and are a great combination with fried liver, meat loaf and Bratwurst. Home made mashed potatoes are the best. Forget the ones out of the package. Even the all natural potato flakes that I tried are not comparable with the home made mashed potatoes. You just have to peel potatoes. Happy Cooking!
1kg potatoes (floury potatoes)
salt to taste
2-3 tbsp butter
1/4 liter hot milk
1 egg yolk (optional)
grated nutmeg to taste
– peel potatoes and cut them into thicker cubes.
– bring milk with butter, salt and nutmeg to a brisk boil.
– drain potatoes and squeeze them through a potato press or use a stick mixer.
– pour milk to the potatoes and mix thoroughly.
– when the potatoes had cooled of a bit add the egg yolk.
Serve the mashed potatoes right away. Mashed potatoes are the best when hot.