This German pear cake is so easy to make and you don’t even have to find quark; the recipe is using quark or alternatively Greek yoghurt which is very creamy (don’t use the non-fat version). For making this cake just mix all ingredients together and within minutes you have got a true German cake. Happy Baking!
(for a 10 inch or 26cm spring form)
90 g sugar
3 eggs, separated
30 g flour
250 g Quark or Greek yoghurt or half cream cheese and half yoghurt/sour cream
– Find Alternatives & Substitutes for Quark –
1/2 organic lemon, juice and zest
2-3 ripe pears or pear halves from the jar
1 dash salt
– Peel pears, remove seeds and cut in 8 quarters.
– Sprinkle pears with lemon juice.
– Beat egg yolks with sugar until creamy.
– Add flour followed by the quark/yoghurt and lemon zest.
– Pre-heat oven to 330 F.
– Beat egg white until firm, add to dough, carefully fold it in.
– Grease a spring form and fill in the dough.
– Place pears on top.
– Bake for 40-50 min (convection) on 165 C or 330 F; cover eventually with foil so the cake won’t get brown.
Let completely cool off, then place it in the fridge. You can dust the cake with powdered sugar before serving.
Enjoy a piece with a cup of coffee!!