In Germany there are plenty potato salad recipes! Today you find out about a different version of a Potato salad: German Potato Salad with Mayonnaise. It is a great potato salad for parties or the barbecue. Serve it with bratwurst, fried meat, rolls and bread or fish. A typical German dish for Fridays would be: Fried fish fillet with potato salad. This potato salad has lots of vegetable in it and pickles. You can vary the vegetable, so every time it will be a different salad. We recommend to use a high quality mayonnaise without any chemicals because they will alter the taste. Happy Cooking!
4-6 medium size potatoes
1 small onion
3 tbsp olive oil and 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
4 crunchy (German) pickles
salt, pepper to taste
hint of nutmeg
3 tbsp Greek yogurt
3-4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 carrot, 4 tbsp frozen peas – optional
Green peas, red pepper, sweet corn frozen or canned – these veggies make the salad colorful
1 tsp chopped dill or parsley or chives
2 hard boiled eggs
– Boil potatoes and peel them while hot (use fork, stick it into potato and with a sharp knife in the other hand peel it).
– Let them cool off completely, then slice them thin.
– Mix yogurt with mayonnaise, add spices, oil vinegar for the dressing in a separate bowl or directly on the potatoes. Both works.
– Chop pickles, peel carrots and grate them coarsely, chop red pepper.
– Combine with potatoes.
– Add frozen peas, red pepper, sweet corn and onions.
– Mix everything with the dressing, and if it is too thick add some liquid from the pickle jar.
– Place hard boiled eggs that are cut in quarters on top, and sprinkle with chopped dill.
The salad should not be too thin or too thick.
Serve with Bratwurst, fried fish fillet, Frikadellen (burger) or Kassler (smoked pork chop).