This is a recipe for German Fried Potatoes Berlin Style or “Bratkartoffeln Berliner Art” as they make it in the capital of Germany, Berlin. Recommended are potatoes such as the yellow Gold or red potatoes, Russet are cooking too soft and fall apart. Serve with your favorite sausages or Frikadellen (German Burgers). Happy Cooking!
2,5 kg potatoes
1 small-medium sized onion (chopped)
5-7 thicker cut slices of bacon (Speck) and cut in small cubes
salt, pepper, red sweet paprika powder (optional)
butter or clarified butter for frying
– Melt butter in a non-stick skillet.
– Fry chopped onions and cubed bacon until they are light brown.
– Peel potatoes, cut in halves and then in thin slices.
– Add potatoes to onions and bacon and fry them on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes. Turn potatoes as needed. Make sure there is enough grease in the pan. Add more if needed.
– Spice with salt and pepper to taste.
If you like the potatoes crunchy dust or turn the potato slices before frying in a bowl with flour; then fry them.