The German Spicy Red Sauce for Paprikaschnitzel is a classic German sauce that is served with meat dishes such as Schnitzel or pork chops. If you make this sauce with a Schnitzel, the meat can be breaded or not, and the meat can be veal or pork. It is served not only in restaurants. You can find that dish at the local fast food stands. You can make this sauce now at home as if you live in Germany! Happy Cooking!
2 small onions
1 tbsp butter
1 red pepper
2 medium carrots (optional)
2-3 tsp paprika powder, mild
chili or cayenne pepper to taste
2 tsp flour
150 ml white wine, dry
2 tbsp tomato paste
optional: 1-2 tbsp Ajvar (paprika paste) mild or hot as you like
400 ml vegetable broth – instant or Make Veggie Broth from Scratch –
– Peel onion and cut in thin rings.
– If you use carrots grate them.
– Remove seeds and white parts from pepper and cut in very thin stripes.
– Clean mushrooms and cut in thin slices.
– Melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet.
– Saute the onion rings for 1-2 minutes on medium heat,
– Spice with pepper, let cook for 2-3 min.
– Add the carrots, mix well, remove skillet from heat.
– Dust flour over the vegetable.
– Spice with paprika powder, add tomato paste and Ajvar.
– Add white wine, mix well.
– Bring to a brisk boil.
– Add broth and bring again to a boil.
– Let simmer on low heat for 10-15 min.
– Spice additionally if necessary
Serve the sauce with pork, veal or chicken.