The German style Fried potatoes, or “Bratkartoffeln” in German, are the best indeed. And this dish is so easy to make. These fried potatoes are an ideal side dish for Bratwurst or Wiener Schnitzel, or can be served as a main dish with lettuce and a homemade dressing. Makes a classic side dish with fried Leberkaese (Bavarian meatloaf) – Happy Cooking!
1 kg potatoes
1 cup cooked ham cubes (optional)
1 small onion
salt, pepper, fresh grated nutmeg to taste
1-2 tbsp clarified butter
– Boil the potatoes – the best when done the day before, so they are cold and won’t fall apart when slicing them.
– Keep boiled potatoes in the fridge.
– Peel potatoes and cut them into thin slices.
– Chop onion fine.
– Melt butter with some olive oil in a big enough non-sticking pan.
– Saute onions until transparent, add ham cubes.
– Add the sliced potatoes, and spice to taste.
– Stir carefully so potatoes won’t get smashed.
– Turn them several times until they are slightly brown on all sides and a bit crunchy.
Serve fried potatoes as a side dish with Bratwurst, Schnitzel, Frikadellen or just as a main dish with lettuce.
From Our GERMAN COOKING Channel