Dried tomatoes in oil are a special way to enjoy tomatoes! I found an original German recipe of how to conserve tomatoes without adding any chemicals or preservatives. Dried tomatoes in oil are a great gift for a party or can be used as an appetizer. Happy Cooking!
3 kg Roma tomatoes
6 tbsp salt
3 tbsp sugar and 3 tbsp dried basil
2 twigs rosemary
1 green chili
4 garlic cloves
400 ml olive oil
1 500 ml jar
– Cut washed tomatoes in half and place them on the oven grid, sprinkle them with a layer of salt (3mm) them and some sugar (you can also drip some oil on top too).
– pre-heat oven on 190 F (94 C) and place grid over a tray layered with foil or baking paper (it may drip).
– Don’t close oven door completely – have a kitchen cloth in between so the door stays open.
– Let tomatoes dry for 5-6 hours or longer until they are completely dry.
– when they are dry place them in a jar, add chili and garlic and fill up with olive oil until all tomatoes are covered..
– Shake it frequently so no bubbles will stay in the jar.
– close the jar with a lid and let them soak for 1-2 days before you enjoy them.