The German butter cake with egg liquor is an original and authentic German recipe that is maybe somewhat old fashioned. Why old fashioned? The layered cake or “Torte” consists of a rich butter cream that is enriched with egg liquor – Eierlikör in German. You would need some baking experience to make this delicious cake. Happy Baking!
Biscuit Base Cake
80 g butter
80 g sugar
200 g almonds, ground
100 g chocolate, grated
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.5oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
1 tbsp baking powder (not baking soda, see below
2 tbsp flour
200 g butter
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.5oz
1.5 packages Vanilla pudding Dr Oetker
500 ml milk
100 g sugar
40 ml egg liquor – How to make Egg Liquor –
100 g grated almonds
50 g sugar
20 g butter
candied cherries or Maraschino cherries and a bit more egg liqueur
Make the Biscuit Base Cake or Use the Kathi Baking Mix for Layered Cakes (see above)
– Mix 200 g almonds, chocolate, vanilla sugar, flour and baking powder.
– Mix butter very well with sugar until sugar is dissolved; add one egg after the other.
– Add almonds-flour mix and fill dough in a greased spring form (diameter 26 cm).
– Bake it on 200 C or 390 F for 15 minutes.
Make the Filling
– Make the vanilla pudding with 100 g sugar (or less depending how sweet it should be). Pour into a bowl and place plastic foil on top for avoiding skin .
-Let pudding cool off to room temperature. Bring butter to room temperature too.
– Place 20 g butter and 50 g sugar in a pan and roast the grated almonds until they are golden brown; let cool off.
Make the Butter Cream
– Stir butter and add carefully the pudding, mix with a spatula until blended.
– When the cake is done let cool off, then release from form
– Cut cake horizontally in half. You will get 2 pieces.
– Place some of the cream into a decorating bag for using it later.
– Spread the butter cream on the bottom half, place the other half on top.
– With a decorating spatula (see below) spread the cream evenly all around the cake.
– Decorate the outer edge of the cake with roasted almonds and all around the top for about 3cm width. (see picture).
– Form little roses along the 3 cm wide edge and place a candied cherry in the middle of each rose.
– Fill egg liqueur on the uncovered part of the top.
Enjoy with a cup of coffee!