These Marzipan chocolate macaroons are delicious German Christmas cookies. Important is to use unsweetened coconut and unsweetened raw marzipan like the one from the German city Luebeck which is famous for their marzipan products (Luebecker Marzipan) or alternatively the Odense marzipan. Happy Baking!
170 g grated coconut (unsweetened)
5 egg white
200 g powdered sugar
400 g raw marzipan
lemon zest of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp dark rum or rum flavor
100 g dark baking chocolate
Baking Instructions German Marzipan Coconut Macaroons
– Beat egg whites until firm.
– Chop marzipan in very small pieces or grate it fine.
– Sieve powdered sugar and add half of it to the egg whites plus the marzipan; mix well.
– Add coconut and remaining powdered sugar, lemon zest and rum. Mix well. The dough should be not liquid; it should be thick.
– You can fill them in a frosting bag with a bigger nozzle and create heaps in walnut size on a baking tray layered with parchment paper. Or with a spoon make little heaps.
– Bake on 150 C or 300 F for about 20 min.
– Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (heat water in a pan, place a ceramic bowl inside and into that bowl add the chopped chocolate).
– When chocolate is melted dip one side of the macaroons into the hot chocolate or drip some lines on the top of them.
– Let macaroons cool off on a baking rack.
Keep them in a tin at a cool place.