Pancakes filled with meat is a German specialty that you will love. For this recipe ground beef is used. Very often pancakes are filled with sweet ingredients such as whipped cream, berries, apple sauce but they taste delicious with a zesty filling. First you would make the pancakes, then the filling. In Germany we like to serve the filled pancakes with a Swabian potato salad. Happy Cooking!
250 g flour
1 tsp salt
400 ml milk
butter, oil for frying in a pan
1 kg ground beef
some clarified butter or sunflower oil
1 of each: onion – carrot – 1 tbsp chopped celery root (optional) – 1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 l vegetable broth – home made or instant – How to make Vegetable Broth –
salt, pepper, dried oregano or Italian herbs to taste, alternatively parsley
– Sieve flour into a bowl, add salt, milk, eggs and mix well.
– Heat enough butter in a skillet and pour some batter into it. Note: Pancakes should be thin, so don’t use too much batter.
– Fry on each side.
– Take aside in the warm oven.
– Heat butter, chop onions fine.
– Saute onions until transparent than add the meat and fry it until slightly browned.
– Add chopped carrot and celery cubes.
– Fill in the broth, add tomato paste and spices. Mix well.
– Let simmer for 15 min (until vegetable is tender).
Place 2-3 tbsp of the filling on each pancake. Keep warm in the oven until all pancakes are done.