In Germany we love egg dishes for breakfast and the classic egg variant would be the soft boiled egg. Nevertheless omelettes are also very popular. We found a German recipe for a potato pepper omelet.
500 g potatoes
2 red pepper
1 green pepper
2 small onions
150 g bacon (German Speck)
1 tbsp butter (about)
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
fresh cress or chives, chopped
– Boil potatoes with skin.
– Cut off the part with the stem from the peppers, remove seeds.
– Cut in small cubes.
– Chop onion fine.
– Peel cooled off potatoes, slice them thinly.
– Cut bacon in cubes.
– Fry bacon cubes in some butter, add onions and potatoes, brown evenly for some minutes.
– Add peppers.
– Saute for about 10 min, spice with salt, nutmeg and pepper to taste.
Make 1 omelet:
– Use 2 eggs for each omelet – Beat eggs briefly in a bowl.
– Melt some butter in a non-stick pan.
– Add a quarter of the potato mix and 2 eggs.
– Let simmer on mild heat, spice with salt an pepper. Omelet should not stick on the bottom of the pan.
Repeat with remaining ingredients.
When done sprinkle with some chopped cress.