The German Pumpkin Beer soup is special as it is using beer but not any beer, it should be Pilsner beer. We found it at Trader Joes. It is the Pilsener Urquell which is a very good German beer. Try this soup. It’s a great combination! Happy Cooking!
2 shallots or 1 small onion
1 tbsp clarified butter or sunflower oil
400 g pumpkin
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 liter beef or vegetable broth (instant) – Recipe for Home Made Vegetable Broth –
salt, pepper to taste
1 dash of sugar
1 bottle Pilner beer (light beer) eg. Pilsner Urquell
125ml heavy cream
– Chop shallots fine. Saute them in hot clarified butter or oil fast.
– Cut pumpkin in cubes.
– Add pumpkin, onions, vinegar and broth to the soup
– Let broth simmer until the pumpkin is soft. With a stick mixer puree everything.
– Spice with salt and pepper to taste.
– Fry bacon in a skillet, combine with pumpkin seeds and roast for some minutes. Set aside.
– Add beer, bring again to a boil.
– Before serving add heavy cream, mix well.