This Streusel Cake with Plum butter (Pflaumenmus in German) is an easy German cake that even beginners will be manage successfully. If you don’t have plum butter here is the recipe to make it – Go to Recipe – or get it from the LoveGermanFood shop But you can also use different jams like apricot, red currant or raspberry.
Plum Butter of Pflaumenmus is been used in many German cakes and pastries. This Streusel Cake will be a great addition for your Kaffee und Kuchen table on Sunday! Happy Baking!
400 g sugar
400 g butter, melted and cooled off
1 dash salt
1 tbsp baking powder, Dr Oetker
2 med size eggs
750 g flour
600 g plum butter
450 g creme fraiche
2 packages vanilla sugar, 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
– Melt butter and let cool off.
– Mix sugar, flour, salt and baking powder in a big bowl; add 2 eggs and butter.
– Knead with hands until you get a crumbly dough.
– Layer a deep baking tray with parchment paper or grease it with butter.
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Fill plum butter in a 1 quart plastic bag, make a knot on top.
– Mix creme fraiche, vanilla sugar and eggs until it is creamy and smooth.
– Press 2/3 of the dough gently into a deep baking tray; this makes the cake base.
– Spread the cream on top.
– Cut a corner off the bag with the plum butter and place plum butter blots on the cream; add remaining streusel on top.
– Bake for 30 min on 350 F.
Let cool off on a cooling rack, then cut the cake in triangles and dust with some powdered sugar if you like.
– Instead of plum butter use apricot jam or red currant jelly.
– Use less jam if you don’t want the cake to be so sweet or add a thin layer of jam.
– Add 1 tsp cinnamon to the remaining streusel, knead the dough again, then place on top.
Tip: This cake can be frozen.
Find Plum Butter at LoveGermanFood.com- Click Here
i make my own vanilla sugar so that I have it on had all the time….sooooo easy….
yes it is easy, we have a how to make vanilla sugar article: https://mybestgermanrecipes.com/how-to-make-homemade-vanilla-sugar/