The German Potato gratin can be served as a side or a main dish together with lettuce. You can vary the cheese as you like; for this recipe I used a mix of Swiss cheese and Pepper Jack which gave it a little spicy taste. If you don't like this use Gruyere or Cheddar. I served the potato gratin with assorted vegetable and German hamburgers which was delicious. It tastes delicious because you boil the potatoes in milk. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Potato Gratin
3/4 l milk
salt, pepper, nutmeg
1 tbsp butter
150 g grated cheese (Gruyere, Gouda or your favorite cheese)
1/4 l heavy cream
Cooking Instructions Potato Gratin
- Peel potatoes and slice them thin; bring milk with salt, pepper and nutmeg and butter to a boil, then add the potato slices.
- On low heat let it simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Grease a fire proof form with butter.
- Mix heavy cream with grated cheese, add some salt an pepper (if you want add 2 garlic cloves, crushed).
- Place the potatoes with a slotted spoon into the form.
- Pour cheese-cream mix on top and add some more grated cheese on top.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (200 C) and bake potatoes for about 15 minutes until the surface is slightly golden brown.
Serve with lettuce.