Let’s have a look what is served in Bavaria as a side dish: Bavarian Cabbage! It is the perfect side dish for Bratwurst or “Fleischpflanzerl”, the German burger, or a beef or pork roast. And not to forget the Bavarian hamhocks, this cabbage is perfect combination for this dish as well. Cabbage is a very inexpensive but a healthy vegetable. You may know only Sauerkraut but this dish is made from raw cabbage. Happy Cooking!
1 medium size white cabbage
1-2 tbsp lard or clarified butter
1 smaller onion, chopped
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 apple, slightly sour, cut in small cubes
salt, pepper to taste
1/8 liter beef broth, instant or home made – How to Make BEEF BROTH
1 tbsp caraway seeds (optional)
– Cut cabbage in half, wash, and remove the hard parts.
– Grate or cut the cabbage but don’t cut it too fine.
– Brown lard with sugar, add onion and apple cubes. Mix well.
– Add cabbage, spice with salt and pepper.
– Combine with broth.
– Let cook for about 60 min covered with a lid, add more broth if needed.
– Before serving add the vinegar and if you like, the caraway seeds (they promote digestion).
Serve with mashed potatoes, roasted onions, sausages, Bratwurst, the German burgers (Buletten or Fleischpflanzerl) or a pork/beef roast.