During the summer months this refreshing dish is being served as a substitute for a hot soup. We call this dish “Kaltschale” and it is a cold sweet soup with berries. You can use strawberries or a mix with different red berries. I can imagine it tastes nice with coconut or oat mil instead of whole milk. You also can add some pieces of Zwieback or butter cookies (Leibniz). It depends on your appetite if you like this soup as a dessert or as a summer main dish – Happy Cooking
1 liter whole milk or alternatively butter milk
500 g berries (strawberries or: Red currants, blueberries, cherries, black berries, goose berries, raspberries)
50 g sugar
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp cinnamon
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 package vanilla sugar – How to Make Vanilla Sugar – or 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
Juice of 1 lemon
1 dash salt
1 egg yolk
mint leaves for decoration
– Combine milk, starch, sugar and zest in a pot. Whisk well.
– Beat the egg yolk with 6 tbsp milk and add to the milk mix.
– While stirring constantly bring to a very brief boil heat it, the starch should have thickened.
– Add lemon juice to taste and let cool off – stir several times. Place in fridge for several hours so it gets very cold.
– Prepare strawberries or other berries. Cut strawberries into smaller pieces and combine with vanilla sugar and some sugar to taste (Amount depends on the sweetness of the berries).
Before serving add the berries to the milk. Serve in soup plates.
Create an exotic style with mango, guava, kiwi, mandarines, pineapple and coconut cream.
Combine peaches, apricots and pineapples.
Add 1 or 2 scoops of ice cream to the soup.
Combine before serving with butter cookie crumbs and/or Zwieback pieces.