This is an original and authentic German recipe for apple strudel as they made it in Austria way back when all Germany was ruled by the Emperor, it’s from the “Kaiserreich”. It’s been said that the German apple Strudel dough must be so thin that it is possible to see a love letter shining through on the other side. So it needs some experience to make such a thin dough. I never use filo dough for apple strudel. The dough should not be flaky or coarse. Serve the apple strudel with vanilla sauce, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Happy Baking!
250g flour, 1 dash salt, 1 egg, 20g butter, some warm water
1,5 kg apples
80 g bread crumbs
125 g sugar
65 g raisins
65 g finely chopped or ground almonds
0.3oz/1 package Dr Oetker vanilla sugar – Find the recipe: How to make Vanilla Sugar –
cinnamon to taste
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/8 l heavy cream
a baking board or a firm surface to prepare and make the dough
– On a baking board add flour, form a mold in the middle, add the egg, butter and salt and as much water you need, to make an elastic and smooth dough which can be kneaded. Knead this dough until it is smooth (for about 5 -10 minutes). Cover it and let it rest for 20 minutes at a warm place (not the fridge).
PREPARE THE FILLING
– Peel apples, remove the core and cut it in fine slices.
– Scald raisins and mix apples with breadcrumbs, sugar, almonds, cinnamon and raisins.
– Put enough flour on the baking board or on a big kitchen cloth, roll the dough and carefully stretch it to all sides until the dough is regularly smooth. You also can knead it by repeatedly lifting it up 2 feet and throwing it against the table, continuing this for about 10 minutes. The dough must be smooth and elastic and thin, very thin. Cut off thick ends with scissors.
– With a baking brush apply the cream on the dough and spread the filling all over the dough.
– Roll it; tuck in the ends.
– Grease a baking tray (or use parchment paper) and put the strudel on it.
– Bake it for 60-70 minutes on 210-220 degrees C or 400 F.
– While it is baking brush melted butter over the strudel.
Enjoy the Strudel with whipped cream, vanilla sauce (see below) or vanilla ice cream, and a cup of coffee. It’s delicious when warm.
thanks, these are great tips!