The German creamy savoy cabbage is a side dish that is wonderful with ham or any sausages and potatoes such as mashed or fried potatoes. Savoy cabbage is very popular in Germany and you can find it in your local super markets. You will like this authentic and proven German recipe. Happy Cooking!
1 small – medium sized savoy cabbage
200 ml heavy cream or milk
salt, sugar, black pepper, nutmeg to taste
1 tsp butter
– Cut off the hard parts of the cabbage.
– Chop onion in fine pieces.
– Remove the darker leaves and place them aside.
– Take the lighter leaves from the inside (that should be 1/3 of the cabbage) and cut them into small pieces: first cut the cabbage in half, then quarters, so you will get fine stripes.
– Place the chopped pieces into a pan, add onions, the spices and the heavy cream/milk.
– Mix well, let cook on low to medium heat until the cabbage is soft. Then puree the cabbage with a stick mixer until you get a fine puree.
– Take the darker leaves of the cabbage and chop them into small pieces as well.
– Melt butter, add dark leaves with salt, sugar and some water (about 5 tbsp), cover with a lid and let simmer for about 5 min or until the leaves are soft and tender.
– Combine the puree with the darker cabbage leaves and mix well.
Do you want to surprise someone with a Black Forest Cake?
Here is a baking mix – super easy and fail-proof