The meatloaf with spinach is a great German meatloaf recipe. Ground meat can be cooked in very many ways, one popular recipe with ground meat is meat loaf. Filled with spinach and cheese it makes a nice family dinner. Different seasonal vegetable are cooked aside the meatloaf. Serve with mashed or fried potatoes. Happy Cooking!
760 g ground meat ( half pork/beef or just beef)
1 day old roll or 1-2 slices bread (such as Baguette, French bread)
2 small onions, chopped
salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder to taste
2 lb fresh spinach (if frozen the amount is less)
cheese of your choice: Mozzarella, Feta, Gouda, Cheddar
1 lb seasonal vegetable mix, fresh (carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. it’s your choice)
2-3 medium sized potatoes
– Soak the bread in water, when it is soaked squeeze out all water.
– Mix ground meat with bread, chopped onions, egg.
– Spice with salt, pepper and paprika powder to taste. Mix well, the best is to use use hands.
– If you use fresh spinach, wash it, cut off brown or wilted leaves, then blanch spinach before using (blanch: place the spinach for 1 minute in hot water, drain it);
– If you use frozen spinach: defrost first.
– Chop fresh spinach coarsely.
-Preheat oven to 400F.
– Roll the meat with the help of 1 baking sheet and plastic foil:
Place meat on the baking sheet.
Flatten the meat and press into shape.
Place a layer of plastic foil on top then with a rolling pin flatten the meat.
– First add spinach on top of meat, then the cheese.
– Roll it carefully, and then remove the baking sheets.
– Place the meat roll in the middle of a deep baking tray.
– Place around the roll the potato wedges, slices of zucchini, pepper or any seasonal
vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots).
– Spice with salt and pepper to taste, drip some olive oil over veggies.
– Cook for 40-55 minutes on 400 F in oven.
I found a video on how to make this beef roll – It’s in german but easy to follow.