If you had been to Germany yo might have seen this classic German snack Toast Hawaii in menus in country inns. It’s such a delicious small meal that is very easy to make and it doesn’t need special ingredients. Happy Cooking!
For each serving you need ONE
sliced pine apple, can, preferably unsweetened
slice of toast bread, wheat (in Germany we would use the Golden Toast) – RECIPE: How to Make German Golden Toast Bread –
enough butter to spread on each slice
boiled ham, sliced
sliced cheese such as Swiss Cheese
if you like decorate with cherries or lingonberry jam
– Pre-Heat oven to 375 F (180 C).
– Spread butter evenly on each slice of toast. Optional: spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on top.
– Drain pineapples, let drip in a sieve.
– Place on top the ham, followed by the pineapple and at last a slice of cheese.
– Use parchment paper on the oven rack and place the toast directly onto the paper.
– In a few minutes the cheese will melt and it will get brown.
– When you see that the cheese has melted into the pine apple opening and gets brown, you should remove the toast right away. It will be after about 6 minutes.
– Let cool off a bit before you enjoy this delicious snack.