Halloween Soup with sauerkraut is a great soup for your Halloween party and can be served as a “midnight soup” – in German this soup is called “Lumpensuppe” which means literally “Rag Soup”. The Sauerkraut makes the “rag effect”. That’s why you should not cut it in too small pieces, it still should look like “rags” in the soup. Happy Halloween and Happy Cooking!
Ingredients Halloween Soup with Sauerkraut
600 g ground beef (or half beef and pork)
salt, pepper to taste
3-4 medium size onions
olive oil and some butter
2 red pepper
1 Sauerkraut – small or big one depends on your taste
500 g mushrooms
1 l instant broth vegetable
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 cup sour cream (or less)
some chili powder to taste
red mild paprika powder to taste
– spice ground beef with pepper and salt; chop onions fine
– in a skillet heat olive oil butter mix add onions and fry until transparent then add ground beef.
– Cut red pepper in small stripes or cubes, add to meat.
– Drain sauerkraut and cut it smaller but not too small! – add to meat
– Slice mushrooms, add to meat.
– Fill up with broth.
– let it cook for 15-20 minutes, then add tomato paste and stir well.
– add sour cream and spice it.
Serve with fresh bread.