Easter is celebrated a lot in Germany! The German Sweet Bread Easter Rabbit is an original German recipe for Easter. It is ideal for your Easter Brunch or breakfast. Happy Baking!
500 g flour
zest of 1 lemon, organic
1 dash salt
dry yeast for 500 g flour (usually 1 package)
3 tbsp sugar
250 ml milk
75 g butter
1 tsp evaporated milk
8 raisins and 16 almonds
– Make the Dough:
Mix all ingredients, knead until you get a smooth dough.
Let it raise covered with a clean kitchen cloth at a warm place until the dough volume has doubled. This can take 30 min or longer, depending on the location.
– Make 8 portions of of the dough and roll them (2inches thick).
– Cut off a small part for the head and roll it to a ball.
– Have remaining dough pointed at both ends and form it to a half circle.
– Place an almond on both ends.
– Make the ears: form the head on the sides pointy and with the point of a scissor cut into half.
– Place the raisin for the eye. If it won’t stick use egg white to make it stick.
– Also stick the head with egg white to the body part.
– Brush rabbits with a mix of evaporated milk and egg yolk.
– Bake in pre-heated oven for 15-20 min on 375 F.
Another idea is (see photo below)