This German Tortenboden Recipe is the base for many different German cakes and it made out of a kneaded dough that we call in German “Mürbeteig”. The most popular cakes with apples, plums or cherries are using this base cake. It is easy to make and does not need any special ingredients. If you are looking for a base cake that is made out of a regular dough (not kneaded) you need to see the recipes that are listed at the bottom of this recipe. Happy Baking!
500 g flour
200 g butter, cold
150 g sugar
1 dash salt
1 package vanilla sugar Dr. Oetker, 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
1 tbsp baking powder
– Cut butter in thin slices. Sieve flour.
– Combine all ingredients, knead dough until it is smooth.
– Wrap it in foil, keep in fridge for 30-60 min.
– Roll the dough on a floured baking board.
– Add your choice for fruit on top.
– Bake for about 40-60 min on 330 F.
The cake below is a Cherry Crumble Cake with the base cake, a layer of cherries and on top you have the sweet crumbles or Streusel – Go to the Recipe –